Prof. Vivekanand Jha
Professor Vivekanand Jha is the President of the International Society of Nephrology. He also covers the role of Executive Director at The George Institute for Global Health, India. Prof. Jha is recognized as a global expert on kidney disease and focuses on emerging public health threats globally and in India. He currently leads research projects operating in more than 20 countries.
He is particularly interested in using multi-disciplinary approaches and innovations to address the system level health and economic challenge posed to humanity by non-communicable diseases. He has published over 320 peer reviewed papers, many in the most prestigious journal in the world and over 40 book chapters. He has held leadership positions in many organizations.
He is a member of Task Forces and Scientific Advisory Committees of the Department of Science and Technology of Government of India, an Advisor to the WHO, has been on Editorial Boards of major journals and has been Section Editor of the Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology.
- Executive Director, George Institute for Global Health, India
- Consultant Nephrologist at Fortis Escorts Kidney and Urology Institute, Okhla, New Delhi
- Professor and Chair of Global Kidney Health, Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
- Conjoint Professor of Medicine, University of New South Wales Sydney, Australia
- President, International Society of Nephrology (2019-21)
- George Institute for Global Health, India Executive Director April 2013-July 2020
- University of Oxford, Oxford, UK, Professor of Nephrology and James Martin Fellow, George Institute for Global Health April 2013-July 2020
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Head, Department of Translational and Regenerative Medicine, 2006-2013
- Professor In-charge, Medical Education and Research Cell, 2010-2013
- D.M. (Nephrology) Postgraduate Medical Institute, Chandigarh, India, December 1990
- M.D. (Internal Medicine) Postgraduate Medical Institute, Chandigarh, India, December 1988.
- M.B.B.S. Patna Medical College, Patna, India, December 1983.
- Professor of Nephrology, Jul 2008 – Mar 2016
- Co-ordinator, Stem Cell Research Facility, 2006 – 2010
- Additional Professor of Nephrology, Jul 2002 – June 2008.
- Associate Professor of Nephrology, Jul 1998 – Jun 2002.
- Assistant Professor of Nephrology, Oct 1992 – Jun 1997.
- Pool Officer in Nephrology, Jul 1991-Sept 1992
- Senior Resident (Nephrology), Jan 1989-Jun 1991
- Junior Resident (Internal Medicine), Jan 1986-Dec 1988